Tochinishiki Kiyotaka

Tochinishiki Kiyotaka

栃錦 清隆

Personal information

Kiyotaka Uchida
(1925-02-20)February 20, 1925
Tokyo, Japan

January 10, 1990(1990-01-10) (aged 64)

1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)

132 kg (291 lb)



576-244-32-1 draw

January, 1939

Highest rank
Yokozuna (October 1954)

May, 1960

10 (Makuuchi)

Special Prizes
Outstanding Performance (1)
Technique (9)

Gold Stars
1 (Azumafuji)

* Up to date as of August 2012.

Tochinishiki Kiyotaka (栃錦 清隆, February 20, 1925 – January 10, 1990) was a sumo wrestler from Tokyo, Japan. He was the sport’s 44th yokozuna. He won ten top division yūshō or tournament championships and was a rival of fellow yokozuna Wakanohana I. He became the head coach of Kasugano stable in 1959 and was head of the Japan Sumo Association from 1974 until 1988.


1 Early career
2 Top division career and yokozuna career
3 Later life
4 Pre-Modern Top division record
5 Modern top division record
6 See also
7 References
8 External links

Early career[edit]
One of few yokozuna to hail from the city rather than the country,[1] he was born in what is now Koiwa, Edogawa.[2] He was a fine all round athlete at elementary school, and although he had no family connections to sumo, he was introduced by a shop owner to Kasugano Oyakata, the former yokozuna Tochigiyama.[2] Tochinishiki made his professional debut in January 1939. He was of such a small size that he had to drink copious amounts of water to meet the weight requirement at his physical.[2] However, his stablemaster, to whom Tochinishiki served as an attendant or tsukebito and was a great influence on him in his early days, expected him to become strong.[2]
Top division career and yokozuna career[edit]

Tochinishiki performing dohyō-iri at Sep. 1954 tournament

He reached the top makuuchi division in June 1947. He made up for his lack of size by showing superb technique. He won no fewer than nine special prizes for Technique, and it was even suggested that the prize had been created especially for him.[2] Tochinishiki was known as the Mamushi (Viper) due to his tenacity once he grabbed hold of his opponent’s mawashi.[3] In January 1951, he lost 7 consecutive bouts, but he bounced back to win eight in a row and clinched his majority of wins or kachi-koshi on the final day, despite the bout being interrupted by a drunken spectator.[2